My Identity Has Been Stolen


After gathering up all my tax documents, my preparer calculated my tax returns and I am getting a small refund. A fancy dinner refund, but I am excited just the same! On my way to the dentist, I stopped at the office to pick up my documents and sign the paperwork authorizing electronic e-file.


The phone call came an hour later. Somebody else has already filed my return using my social security number! How? And most importantly what do I do now?

  1. Make sure all social security numbers on the tax return are accurate, including you, your dependents and your spouse. If so continue to step 2.
  2. Send Form 14039 to IRS (or request your tax preparer to do so on your behalf).
  3. File a complaint with the FTC at
  4. Check your credit report with the three major credit reporting agencies and place a fraud alert.


Although my refund came eventually, it was a very slow process. But, I got through it. Don’t panic but do learn how to protect your identity in the future.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s